Saturday, January 22, 2011

Pizza Scrolls


I'm a huge pizza lover - especially when it's homemade because you can customize it exactly the way you want it.  Try experimenting with different ingredients.  You could use pesto instead of pizza sauce; chicken instead of pepperoni; load with veggies; or experiment with different types of cheese. I adapted this recipe from one of my favorite food bloggers - Multiply Delicious.  Click HERE for her version.

You'll need:
I can Pillsbury refrigerated thin pizza crust (11 oz.)
Pepperoni, about 20 slices
1/4 cup pizza sauce
1/2 lb. mozzarella, shredded
2 tsp. fresh basil, chopped
1 tsp. fresh oregano, chopped
Salt and Pepper to taste
Olive oil cooking spray


*Scroll to the bottom of this post for a vegetarian option!

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Unroll the pizza dough onto a cookie sheet or cutting board.  I sprinkled a little flour on my cookie sheet to make the dough easier to handle.  Spread the pizza sauce all over the crust, and layer with pepperoni, mozzarella (reserving 1/2 cup for later), basil, oregano, salt, and pepper.  Then, starting on the side that's shortest in length, roll the pizza tightly.  Using a serrated knife, cut the scrolls into slices about 2 inches thick.


Place the scrolls in a cupcake pan that was greased lightly with the olive oil spray.


Sprinkle the remaining mozzarella on top of the scrolls.


Bake for about 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and crust is golden brown.


Serve with ranch or more pizza sauce.  These would also make great appetizers if you're expecting a crowd.  Enjoy!



Three-Cheese Veggie Pizza Scrolls

These scrolls have been such a huge hit that I wanted to post pictures from my second batch.  I prepared them basically the same way, except this time I used sliced red bell peppers, cremini mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, fresh spinach, and a dash of salt and pepper.  


Then, I sprinkled on shredded cheddar and Fontina. If you've never used Fontina, you've got to try it.  It's soft, buttery, and sweet, so it's great to melt on sandwiches, in pasta, and of course, on pizza.


When I rolled the pizza and cut the scrolls, they were too large to squeeze into a muffin pan, so I just laid them on a greased cookie sheet, and sprinkled on shredded mozzarella.


Bake for about 10 minutes, and enjoy!


Sending you love (all scrolled up) from my kitchen.

1 comment:

  1. I was inspired by your blog and made these last night! So good! I used turkey pepperoni and lots of veggies. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete