Sunday, October 16, 2011

Strawberry Salad with Saffron Chicken + Citrus Mint Dressing


After all those Nutella recipes, I think we need a healthy one.

You'll need:

Salad:
Spring mix
Alfalfa sprouts
Cucumber slices
Strawberries
Goat cheese crumbles (or feta if that's your thing)
3 Tbsp. olive oil
Shredded chicken - I used rotisserie chicken.
PINCH of saffron
Salt & Pepper to taste

Dressing:
Juice of 1 lemon
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/8 tsp. dried mint
*Makes 2 servings... I've made this dressing before for THIS AMAZING SALAD.

Here's my secret to quick, no-fuss chicken. When I go grocery shopping - usually on Sunday - I buy an already-cooked rotisserie chicken. Then I tear it apart, shred all the meat, and store it in a tupperware container in the fridge. It's good for the rest of the week for sandwiches, salads, chicken nachos, casseroles, just about anything! One day I'll make my own rotisserie chicken, and it'll be more delicious. But not today.


Drizzle the olive oil in a small sauté pan on medium-low heat.


Add chicken, and sprinkle with pinch of saffron. Toss well to coat the chicken in the saffron. If you're not using pre-seasoned rotisserie chicken like me, add some salt and pepper, too. (If you want the chicken to be really moist, add a few tablespoons of a dry white wine or chicken broth.) Sauté for 6-8 minutes until the chicken is hot and begins to turn a golden color.


While that's sautéing, start building your salad... spring mix, sprouts, cucumbers, strawberries, goat cheese, salt & pepper, and really anything else you're in the mood for. I like to prepare my salad in a big bowl so there's plenty of room for tossing.


For the dressing, juice the lemons, using a strainer to catch the seeds.


Add dried mint. (Sometimes I'll add salt & pepper to the dressing, but this time I added that to my salad instead.)


Whisk in 2 Tbsp. olive oil.


Pour over the salad, toss, and plate!


Top with chicken.


I like to add a little more cheese right before serving.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment