Saturday, December 11, 2010

Vegetable Soup


This is another one of my mom's recipes. She used to make it every time one of us was sick, and it would magically make us feel better.  So, I made it for a couple of sick friends recently.  I changed Mom's recipe up a little - she uses peas, and I'm not crazy about them, so I used green beans instead.

You'll need:
1 beef neck bone
2 medium potatoes
2 small carrots
2-3 stalks of celery
handful of green beans
1/4 medium onion
2 cloves garlic
8 oz. tomato sauce (1 small can)
3 oz. tomato paste (1/2 small can)
1 teaspoon dried dill
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Bring about 6-7 cups of water to a boil, and then add the neck bone.  Turn the heat down to medium-low, and simmer for about 8 minutes.


Meanwhile, peel, wash, and chop your vegetables into bite-size chunks.




Chop the onion and garlic, too.



Back to the neck bone - Scoop out the foam that rises to the top.



Drop in your veggies, onion, and garlic.


Pour in the tomato sauce, tomato paste, dill, salt, and pepper. Let it simmer on medium-low heat for 2 hours. The soup will thicken up a bit.


Give it a taste before serving... you may need to add a bit more salt to get it tasting just right.  After serving, I like to squeeze some lime into the bowl, too!


Sending you love from my kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment