Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Chicken & Black Bean Nachos


February was a slow month for updating my food blog.  With mid-terms, work, and fun weekend guests,  I just haven't had any spare time.  March will (hopefully) be different!  I have a lot of recipes and pictures saved, so get ready!

Here are a few things that have happened while I've been neglecting this blog:
  • I catered appetizers for a baby shower last Sunday!  This was my first "catering gig," and it was so much fun cooking for 40 people!  Unfortunately, I was scrambling to get everything done in time and forgot to take pictures, but I made asparagus wrapped in prosciutto; phyllo shells filled with brie and raspberry or apricot jam; and balsamic chicken and tortellini pasta salad.  I heard afterward that the food was a hit - thank goodness! 
  • I got asked to recreate this red velvet cake with a layer of cheesecake in the middle.  And it was awesoooome.  Here's what mine looked like:
  • My blog surpassed 1,000 hits!  (1,043 as of today!)  How exciting is this?!?  Obviously it's not a thousand different people, but I'm still pretty ecstatic. :)
  • I also survived mid-terms, and my cohort has started the countdown to graduation... about 72 days, and even less until we're done with class!
Okay, let me tell you about this easy and quick dish!  (I borrowed this idea from Two Peas and Their Pod, so credit goes to those pros.)  I'm not giving you any exact measurements because it's more fun to add ingredients as you see fit.

You'll need:
Tortilla chips
Chicken, cooked and shredded
Diced green chiles
Black beans from a can, drained and rinsed
Cheese, shredded (I used medium cheddar and monterey jack)
Guacamole ( I made my own, but you can use store-bought.)

First, preheat your oven to 400 degrees.

I seasoned my chicken with garlic salt, black pepper, and just a pinch of saffron... my mom's typical seasoning for poultry.  I haven't seen anyone else do it, but man, it works.  


Sauté in olive oil (about 7 minutes on each side depending on thickness of chicken) until cooked all the way through.  Mmmm just wait until you smell this...


In the meantime, shred the cheeses, rinse the black beans, and pop open your can of chiles.





When the chicken is done cooking, shred it with a fork.


Now, all there's left to do is pile on the toppings and bake.  I used a small glass dish to cook my nachos, but you could also use a baking sheet.


First pile on some cheese and black beans.


Then, add the chicken, chiles, and more cheese. :)


Pop it in the oven for 5 minutes... that's right, just 5 minutes will do the trick!


Top with guac, and devour.  So delicious!


Sending you love from my kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment