Saturday, May 21, 2011

Pesto & Mushroom Chicken Sandwich


When I was making this sandwich yesterday, one of my roommates walked by our kitchen and asked what I was making. When I replied, "Just a sandwich," she laughed, claiming that I never make normal sandwiches, only "gourmet sandwiches." Well, that's not entirely true... I enjoy a traditional PB&J every now and then. But when my fridge is full and I have time on my hands, I try to channel my inner-Panera and be creative.  Most of these creations are pretty tasty, but every once and a while I stumble upon a fabulous combination of ingredients, and I just have to blog the result.

You'll need:
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup sliced baby bella mushrooms
1/4 cup shredded chicken (I used leftover dark meat from a rotisserie chicken.)
Splash of chicken broth (about 2 Tbsp)
Pinch of crushed saffron
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 oz. mozzarella, shredded
1 tablespoon pesto (I used Giada's basil pesto)
1/2 Roma tomato, thinly sliced
2 slices of bread, toasted (I used Nature's Own Multigrain)


Heat olive oil and mushrooms in a small sauté pan on medium heat.


Once the mushrooms start to become tender, add the chicken and a splash of chicken broth to keep the mixture moist.


Once the broth begins to evaporate, turn the heat down to low. Then, add the pinch of saffron (not more than a pinch!) and a bit of salt and pepper.  Form the mixture into a sandwich-sized rectangle...


...and sprinkle on the cheese!


While that's melting, slice your tomatoes and spread pesto on once slice of toasted bread.


Using a spatula, move the cheesy chicken and mushroom mixture to the second slice of bread.


Add tomatoes...


...and you're ready to eat! See that didn't take so long, and it's way better than PB&J.  :)


Sending you love (gourmet-style) from my kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment