Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Fettucini Lasagna


When I made this I was craving lasagna (which happens way too often) but didn't want to mess with the hassle of building and baking. This is a great weeknight meal - it's quick and works well as leftovers throughout the week.

You'll need:
1 lb. pasta (I used fettucini, but I may try shells next time - use what you want!)
3 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
1/4 sweet onion, chopped finely
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 bell pepper, chopped (optional)
3-4 mushrooms, sliced (optional)
1 pound extra-lean ground beef
1/2 tsp. turmeric
1 jar spaghetti sauce (I used Bertoli Marinara with Burgundy Wine.)
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
Salt & Pepper to taste
8 oz. package mozzarella, grated
1/3 cup parmesan, grated (I actually used some Pamigiano Reggiano that I had in my fridge.)
1/2 cup sour cream

Prepare onion and garlic (and pepper and mushrooms if using), and add to 2 Tbsp. olive oil in a large sauté pan on medium heat.



Sautee for 6-8 minutes or until tender. Then push the veggies to the side of the pan to make room for the ground beef, and add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. I'm kind of picky about raw meat and don't like it touching other food until it's cooked. I'm sure it really doesn't matter in the end, but that's just personal preference. If I was less lazy, I would use a different pan, but this will work.


Add the ground beef,  chopping as it browns.


Almost there...


Once it has just browned, turn your heat down to medium-low. Mix everything together, and add turmeric. I know it's a random spice to throw in, but that's what my mom always does... so that's what I do.


Add spaghetti sauce.


Add Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Let it simmer uncovered for 10-15 minutes, tasting along the way and adjusting spices if necessary.


While that's simmering, cook your fettucini according to the package directions, and prepare your sour cream and cheeses.


Drain pasta when al dente, and fold into sauce.



Add sour cream and cheeses and stir gently. Don't be afraid of the sour cream - you can't taste it at all, but it really holds everything together.




Taste just like lasagna in half the time! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment